The following discusses a concern of the new 2010 SharePoint systems that all major users should be aware of.
Major Minor version issues:
1) Unlike the previous SharePoint MOSS2007 version, failure to check pages and image issues in to a library will lock a page and users will not be able to enter or see content. Moreover they will receive the following error message.
2) To insure this doesn’t happen on your site you must follow these steps:
- After creating a publishing page or putting an image into an image library you must “Check in the page or image as a MAJOR Version” immediately after you make the page or upload an image.
- Many times you will check document and images in as a minor version by accident not realizing it. For example version [ .01 ] is a minor version and [ 1.0 ] is a major version. Minor versions do not count in the user experience. Minor version will not be seen by users and unless a Major version is checked in first the user will see the error message and not gain access to the page.
- This error message is confusing to the users because it appears as a permissions issue making the user think they do not have the necessary permissions to the page.
3) After you upload an image it is not necessarily checked in. You must immediately check out and or check in the image. The same is true for pages. After creating a publishing page check in or check out and check in the page as a “MAJOR” Version 1.0 not a minor version .01.
4) If you ever have question about doing it right or wrong look in the version history.
Thre real problem with this issue is that you as the Administrator or contributor you will not know the issue exist because you will see images and pages because they are your creation. Versioning has no effect on the owner because you are the owner of the information. The user however will get the page erro message and you’ll not now it till someone calls or emils you indication they can not see the content.
RULE: If you create or upload it to SharePoint …………. Make checking it in the very next step and you’ll never have these issues.